For Anesthesia Professionals:
Standards and Guidelines
- ASA Difficult Airway Algorithm
- ASA Standards for Patient Monitoring
- FDA Recognized Consensus Standards: Anesthesia
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Perianesthesia Nurses
- Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
- Anesthesia and Analgesia
- Council on Surgical and Perioperative Safety
- FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health: information about safety of medical devices
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices: Medication safety alerts, error reporting, self assessment of safety practices. Most comprehensive site for medication safety issues.
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- The Joint Commission (TJC): standards, filing complaints, patient safety goals
- Malignant Hyperthermia Association of the United States
- National Coordinating Council for Medication Error Reporting and Prevention
- National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF): Extensive list of patient safety websites, patient information, annual patient safety congress announcement, research funding, listserv archive
- Patient Safety Movement Foundation (PSMF) The Patient Safety Movement Foundation was established to reduce that number of preventable deaths in hospitals to 0 by 2020. Problems are addressed with actionable solutions for patient safety by working collaboratively with patients, healthcare providers, medical technology companies, government, employers, and private payers.
- Development of Safer Standardized Connections StayConnected is a communications program created to facilitate a successful transition from medical device applications.
- FDA Safety Alerts
- FDA MDR reports database search: search files to identify reports of medical device problems and compare to one you are experiencing or before purchasing equipment
- Emergency Care Research Institute (ECRI): medical device safety focus. Current hazard alerts. Accident and forensic investigation services.
Simulation (links to simulation sites and free simulation on line)
- University of Florida Teaching software
- Bristol Medical Simulation Center: extensive links to simulation centers using mannequin simulators
- Society for Medical Simulation
- Virtual anesthesia machine
Other patient safety websites
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): The US government agency tasked with improving patient safety.
- Agency for Healthcare research and Quality Medical Error and patient safety: AHRQ medical error and patient safety web area
- Web M&M: M&M presentations on line. Includes surgery and anesthesia cases.
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis Methods: How to conduct an FMEA
- NPSF patient safety listserv archives: archives of patient safety topics. easily searchable. A good place to look for how others think about an issue of concern to you.
- WHO Safe Surgery Program